South Africa’s Zulu king condemns ‘vile’ anti-immigrant attacks

first_img(Reuters) – South Africa’s influential Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini on Monday described recent anti-immigrant attacks as “vile”, defending himself against claims that previous comments he made about foreigners had fuelled the unrest.At least seven people have been killed in the latest wave of anti-immigrant violence to hit South Africa, which began almost three weeks ago in Durban, a coastal city in the Zulu heartland.“We need to make sure no more foreigners are attacked. We must stop these vile acts,” Zwelithini told thousands of supporters at a stadium in Durban.Some hostile sections of the crowd were singing songs calling for immigrants to leave and booed an earlier speaker who said foreigners had a right to live in South Africa.Zwelithini has been accused of fuelling anti-immigrant unrest after local media quoted him saying foreigners should leave South Africa. He said his comments were taken out of context.“The country has only been shown a portion of my speech, which has been selective,” Zwelithini said.“If it were true that I said ‘foreigners must go’ this country would be up in flames.”last_img read more

Recent Posts

  • Mother of slain Reeva Steenkamp to launch anti-abuse centre

    first_imgJune Steenkamp, whose daughter Reeva was killed by her Paralympian boyfriend Oscar Pistorius, said on Tuesday that she was launching an anti-abuse organisation in her daughter’s memory.Pistorius shot Steenkamp at his home outside Pretoria on Valentine’s Day 2013, believing she was an intruder. The 28-year-old athlete is currently serving a five-year prison sentence for manslaughter, after he was found not guilty of murder last year.His lawyers will later this week challenge a judge’s decision to allow prosecutors to appeal the runner’s negligent killing conviction. Steenkamp, who last year published her memoir, said the foundation was her way of keeping her daughter’s legacy alivelast_img read more

  • South Africa’s Zulu king condemns ‘vile’ anti-immigrant attacks

    first_img(Reuters) – South Africa’s influential Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini on Monday described recent anti-immigrant attacks as “vile”, defending himself against claims that previous comments he made about foreigners had fuelled the unrest.At least seven people have been killed in the latest wave of anti-immigrant violence to hit South Africa, which began almost three weeks ago in Durban, a coastal city in the Zulu heartland.“We need to make sure no more foreigners are attacked. We must stop these vile acts,” Zwelithini told thousands of supporters at a stadium in Durban.Some hostile sections of the crowd were singing songs calling for immigrants to leave and booed an earlier speaker who said foreigners had a right to live in South Africa.Zwelithini has been accused of fuelling anti-immigrant unrest after local media quoted him saying foreigners should leave South Africa. He said his comments were taken out of context.“The country has only been shown a portion of my speech, which has been selective,” Zwelithini said.“If it were true that I said ‘foreigners must go’ this country would be up in flames.”last_img read more

  • Child leukaemias ‘not linked to nuclear plants’

    first_img 18 Views   no discussions HealthLifestyle Child leukaemias ‘not linked to nuclear plants’ by: – May 9, 2011 Sharing is caring! Share Sharecenter_img But the report says there is no increased cancer risk near nuclear power plantsChildren living near nuclear power plants in Britain are no more likely to develop leukaemia than those living elsewhere, experts have found.Any risk was “extremely small, if not actually zero”, the Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE), said.It examined data from 1969-2004 on children under five living near 13 nuclear power plants in Britain.About 500 children develop leukaemia each year – the majority are cured.COMARE was set up in 1985 to advise government on the health effects of radiation.The committee examined 430 cases of leukaemia occurring within 25 kilometres of nuclear power plants over the 35-year period.COMARE has recommended that the government looks at other possible factors involved in childhood leukaemia.Infection linkIn an earlier report it found that cases of leukaemia were more likely among wealthier families in the least overcrowded conditions.Other studies have suggested that babies who have regular contact with other children are less likely to develop leukaemia, perhaps because their immune system is primed by early contact with infections.Professor Alex Elliott from the University of Glasgow, who chaired the committee, said “We should not be complacent about this issue, but we think the government should be looking for other causes beyond radiation for childhood leukaemia cases.”The committee will now examine clusters of leukaemia cases previously identified around the Sellafield reprocessing plant and Dounreay research facility – these were not included in the current report which focussed only on power plants.By Fergus Walsh Medical correspondent,BBC News Tweet Sharelast_img read more

  • Coconut Lemonade.

    first_imgCoconut LemonadeThis lemonade is a refreshing summer drink that makes a good beverage to serve at a bridal shower or any other special occasion.Blueberries, raspberries, and carambola give this lemonade an attractive look that makes it hard to resist. Carambola is also called star fruit, which is a five-segmented fruit that when cut crosswise forms a star shape.The coconut syrup in this lemonade recipe gives this beverage a tropical flair.Ingredients:3 cups water2/3 cup lemon juice1/2 cup sugar2 Tbsp. coconut beverage flavoring syrup, such as Monin or Torani, or cream of coconut1/2 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries1/2 cup frozen red raspberries1 small fresh carambola (star fruit), thinly sliced crosswiseIce cubes (optional) Sharing is caring! Share Tweet Recipe source: Better Homes and Gardens Sharecenter_img Directions:In a large bowl combine water, lemon juice, sugar, and coconut syrup. Stir until sugar is well dissolved. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.To serve, transfer lemon mixture to a serving bowl or pitcher. Add blueberries, raspberries, and carambola. If desired, serve over ice cubes. Make: 4 (8-ounce) servings 22 Views   no discussions Share Food & DiningLifestyle Coconut Lemonade. by: – July 8, 2011last_img read more

  • Memorial mass held for landslide victims in San Sauveur

    first_img Share LocalNews Memorial mass held for landslide victims in San Sauveur by: – June 17, 2011 Sharing is caring! Tweet 11 Views   no discussionscenter_img Share Village of San Sauver. Photo credit: fuseworld.comThe community of San Sauveur culminated a weekend of activities marking Fete Isidore on Pentecost Monday with a mass held in memory of the three people who lost their lives in a massive landslide in 2010.Seventy six (76) year old Flora Stoute, fifty one (51) year old Harrison Stoute and five (5) year old Jael Stoute died after a landslide covered their home in San Sauveur last year.A number of fringe events formed part of the activities for Fete Isidore, which took place from June 10th to 13th.Events included a Miss Isidore pageant, a fish and talent night, a sports day and a cultural gala.Two community elders were also recognized for their contribution to the feast of St Isidore in San Sauveur.Proceeds from the weekends’ activities will go towards the refurbishment of two historical San Sauveur structures; the 100 year-old presbytery and the church building.The activities have been hailed as a success by the organizers.Dominica Vibes News Sharelast_img read more

  • EPL: VAR awards Palace late equalizer against Norwich

    first_img Promoted ContentBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made15 Celebs Whose Careers Were Thwarted After One Simple MistakePlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyWhat Happens When You Eat Eggs Every Single Day?7 Worst Things To Do To Your PhoneWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?What Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?Rihanna Is Getting Her Own Museum In BarbadosTop 10 TV Characters Meant To Be IconicA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This Day The goal was initially ruled out for offside, but was correctly allowed a stand after a check, with the draw a fair result after a full-bloodied game that saw both sides give decent accounts of themselves. The Canaries took just four minutes to get their noses in front as they took the momentum from their spirited display against Tottenham last time out into their first game of 2020. Emi Buendia’s burst into the box ended with his shot being blocked, but the ball fell kindly for an unmarked Cantwell, who coolly slotted home his sixth goal of the season from close range. There was a muted celebration, with the youngster looking as though he could have been offside, but a VAR check quickly confirmed that Martin Kelly had been playing him on. Teemu Pukki was then brought down by James Tompkins when clean through, but any thoughts of a possible red card were ruled out by an offside call. It had been an excellent start from Daniel Farke’s bottom-of-the-table side, but Palace gradually worked their way into the game and Jordan Ayew directed a header straight at Tim Krul before a slip from Christoph Zimmermann let in Jairo Riedewald, who chose to pass rather that shoot, with James McArthur’s effort blocked. Norwich were denied two precious points in their survival bid as a VAR-awarded goal from substitute Connor Wickham earned Crystal Palace a 1-1 draw at Carrow Road. The Canaries looked to be heading towards their first home win in eight games courtesy of Todd Cantwell’s early goal, but the Eagles had the final say four minutes from the end when Wickham converted a Wilfried Zaha cross from close range. Norwich finished the half the stronger, however, and as injury time approached Cantwell directed a shot from Max Aarons’ cross straight at Vicente Guaita before Aarons curled one just wide himself. It took an excellent fingertip save from Guaita to keep out Buendia’s 30-yard free-kick nine minutes into the second half, while at the other end other disciplined defending was keeping the Eagles at arm’s length. As the game passed the hour mark Mario Vrancic got on the end of Kenny McLean’s glancing header from a corner but was unable to guide it home from a tight angle. Palace were struggling to make any headway in their search for an equaliser, with Zaha volleying wastefully over after a quick free-kick had caught Norwich out.center_img Loading… Read Also: Brighton vs Chelsea: Jahanbakhsh nets stunning equalizer against Blues Norwich were desperately unlucky after 73 minutes when McLean’s rising close-range volley smacked against the crossbar, with the loose ball ricocheting to safety. And Palace made the most of the escape as they equalised four minutes from time with a little help from VAR. When Wickham slid home Zaha’s cross from inside the six-yard box the assistant referee’s flag immediately went up for offside, but replays show he was being played on by Zimmermann’s foot and the goal stood. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

  • EPL: Man Utd fined £20,000 for players conduct

    first_imgMan Utd have been fined £20,000 for failing to control their players after they swarmed the referee in the heated defeat at Liverpool earlier this month. But now the club have now been hit with a £20,000 fine. Read Also:Treble-your-money contract: .Man Utd in last-ditch move for Angel Gomes The row was kick-started after Van Dijk clashed with De Gea in the build-up to a Roberto Firmino goal – later ruled out following a VAR review. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… United players surrounded ref Craig Pawson midway through the opening period after Virgil van Dijk challenged David De Gea. The FA charged the club with failing to “conduct themselves in an orderly fashion” earlier this week.Advertisement Promoted Content7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your MindBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them8 Best 1980s High Tech Gadgets7 Mind-Boggling Facts About Black Holes7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseThe Best Tarantino Movie YetCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?Best Car Manufacturers In The WorldYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Action Movies That’ll Give You An Adrenaline Rushlast_img read more

  • Cavani ‘snubs Man Utd transfer’ after contract offer to PSG striker

    first_imgEdinson Cavani has reportedly rejected a huge offer from Manchester United. Cavani, 32, is free to leave Paris Saint-Germain this month with his contract expiring at the end of the season.Advertisement Manchester United and Chelsea are both interested in the Uruguayan but Atletico Madrid have remained at the front of the queue. Promoted Content7 Worst Things To Do To Your PhoneTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesTop 10 Disney Male Role ModelsYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hootWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Things That Actually Ruin Your Phone8 Fascinating Facts About CoffeeTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs Read Also:Cavani’s parents reveal preferred club despite Chelsea interest“We had a proposal from Atletico Madrid. We did not have a proposal worthy of the player’s worth. I’m not sure Cavani will be here in February.“We will see how it turns out in the coming days, but we are listening to Cavani because we respect him. It’s a little clearer now, with him at the end of his contract.”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img United’s need for a striker has increased in the past week with Marcus Rashford facing up to three months out with a back problem.And reports in France suggest they made a provisional contract offer to Cavani in an attempt to lure him to Old Trafford.Cavani is free to talk to foreign clubs and United made a contract proposal worth around £10m-a-year, plus a huge signing-on bonus.Foot Mercato reports they are the same terms offered by Atletico Madrid, who have already had a bid turned down.But Cavani rejected the approach from United as he is ‘fixated’ on moving to the Spanish capital.The striker is willing to wait until the summer if the deal can’t get done this month, with PSG demanding around £20m for his services.Cavani handed in a transfer request at PSG earlier this week with the French champions accepting they may have to let him go.Sporting director Leonardo said: “We always said the same thing for Cavani. We hoped that he would stay at the club. He asked to leave. We are studying the situation. Loading… last_img read more

  • Martins’ death: Sports Ministry, NFF ban Matches without Medical Equipment and Personnel

    first_img Nigeria Football Federation had also instructed that no NPFL match will go ahead until certain statutory measures are adhered to by the LMC and the 20 clubs operating in the league.Martins slumped on teh pitch during the NPFL match between Nasarawa United and Katsina United in Lafia on Sunday. He was attended to by medics, however reports suggest that for the lack thereof of essential equipment and a broken down Stadium ambulance, Martins could have been save. The footballer was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital, when he was eventually conveyed by another Ambulance. Neither the LMC nor the Club side have released an official report explaining the incident that transpired in the circumstances leading to the player’s demise. But the NFF on Monday declare a host of measures that must be adhered to henceforth in the league. Among them, the NFF demanded the availability of: – Medical equipment and personnel as provided in the NFF Club Licensing Regulations at match venues. Read Also:Tokyo 2020: Sports Ministry’s Adoption Initiative Boost For Athletes – All Match Commissioners and the host FA are to ensure they inspect all the facilities including carrying out test runs before giving go-ahead for any match to be played. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Following the death of the player of Nassarawa United Chineme Martins during a league match over the weekend, Minister for Youth and Sports Development Mr Sunday Dare has ordered that henceforth, no game should be played without the full compliments of paramedics personnel and equipments at the venue. This decision was taken after due consultations ,meetings and calls to relevant stakeholders by the Minister. A statement from the Office of the Sports Development Minister said “Henceforth from March 14th ,2020 no league match would take place without paramedics personnel , full equipments as provided for in the NFF Club licensing Regulations. This decision was reached to ensure prompt response in the event of any incident during matches. We don’t want any avoidable deaths in our match venues or any other sports for that matter. We are also going to move against hooliganism at match venues. We shall enforce zero tolerance for violence at stadium as is the case in all match venues” Under the arrangement, all match commissioners , host State FAs must inspect all medical facilities at match venues , test run to confirm that they are working before the commencement of any league game. Meanwhile ,Dare has offered his condolences to the family of the departed player , even as he assured that adequate measures would be put in place to forestall future occurrences .”The death of the Nassarawa United player is most unfortunate. We shall not tolerate avoidable death as a result of not observing laid down rules.” Promoted Content18 Cities With Neverending Tourist-FlowBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone11 Strange Facts About Your Favorite TV ShowsMind-Bending Technology That Was Predicted Before It Appeared6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?10 Awesome TV Series That Got Cancelled Way Too Soon7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black HolesTop 10 Tiniest Phones Ever MadeThe Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love Withlast_img read more

  • Unlicensed gun puts man behind bars

    first_imgAn improvised shotgun with an empty magazine wasrecovered from the suspect’s house, it added. Armed with a search warrant, officers of themunicipal police station raided the house of 36-year-old Jimmy Relativo onSept. 16, a police report showed. Police officers served the warrant issued byJudge Cyclamen Fernandez of the Regional Trial Court Branch 63 in La CarlotaCity, Negros Occidental dated Sept. 12, 2019. BACOLOD City – Police arrested a man forowning an unlicensed gun in Barangay Tinongan, Isabela, Negros Occidental. Relativo was detained in the lockup cell ofthe Isabela police station, facing charges for violation of Republic Act 10591,or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act./PNlast_img read more